My Old Blog

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Compliments

So I am having a strange relationshop with compliments. Some compliments that someone might pay to me are like any other. It is sweet. I appreciate it and the day moves on. But last week, at the gym this guy who works out ALL THE TIME comes up to me. Let me paint a picture of this man before I go on any further. He is one of those guys that sweats not just a little bit, but through his whole shirt to be literally dripping. I sweat too. I might drench both sports bras, (got to have 2 to make the girls not move) but my entire shirt is not dripping. This man is also not what I would consider to be attractive. He IS older, friendly to everyone, and like I said works out ALL THE TIME. He usually does 2 classes straight through. That is some major working out, wouldn't you say? Well, the other day after Body Combat (combination of kick boxing / tae bo) this man walks up to me. Never said a word to me before, but this day was obviously different. He said, "You really worked hard today. Good Work!" OK, So people have paid me this compliment before, but now that he has said it to me , I CANNOT get it out of my head. It is silly really. I mean, I know I work hard right? So why does it matter that he told me what I already know? The funny thing now is that everytime I get into a class and he is in there, I feel like I need to work harder. AND I hear his compliment in my head over and over and over and over. Am I that desperate for a compliment? I really don't think that I am, but I am starting to wonder. Does anyone else ever have this happen to them?

9 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

He probably just thinks your "HOT" and wanted to talk to you. My friend had a guy ask her if he could lick the sweat of her at her gym the other day. It's gotta be better than that.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

The times I've felt that way have been when I expected a lot of myself in that particular aspect.

I'm a statuesque girl and have lost and regained the same 50 pounds three different times since college. Each time I lose weight, I really HATE it when people say, "You look great." or "You have really lost a lot of weight." I think it's because I doubt that I will continue to be able to lose weight or I will stop losing weight or I will regain it an need to lose it again.

Or maybe this isn't you. . .but I saw your lovely smile on someone else's blog and just had to come and check yours out.

Now you have further insight into my psyche even if I didn't help you have insight into your own. :)

7:18 PM  
Blogger stephc said...

I have to agree with Holly! I am so glad to see you in the tecno-world!

7:43 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Just stand behind him so he can't see how hard you are working! Oh wait... that is what I would do!

8:05 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I don't think that I have painted a very good picture of this man. Did I mention that he is not that attractive? And I KNOW I did not paint a picture of me while I am working out. I don't think that ANYONE would descibe me as "hot" while I am at the gym!! Sorry to disappoint! :)

8:47 PM  
Blogger Tammy M. said...

Glad to read your blog! See you at the pool.

5:49 AM  
Blogger AbbieCRAZY said...

When were you gonna tell me you had a blog?

6:00 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

I understand what you are saying. He was just giving encouragement and didn't realize that it would stick like it did.

There are certain people that we run into that we TRY SO HARD to impress even though they could really care less... they just admire you a tiny bit once and you want to keep someone in the world thinking you are something to admire.

I think it's only human to feel the way you feel... I don't know, maybe because we are a mystery to nobody else...

1:47 PM  
Blogger BayouMaMa said...

Hi Nicole...I'm BayouMaMa...just a state away.

I don't think this guy was flirting...it sounds like he was trying to be nice. (Or maybe I'm just being naive?)

I think that most people like when someone notices how much effort they have put into something. It's normal...maybe shouldn't count for so much...but normal nonetheless. I'm guilty of it as well. *sigh*

Looking forward to seeing you on the blogging circuit! :-)

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home