My Old Blog

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Hair cut!!

Well I finally broke down and PAID someone to cut one of my children's hair. No! NOT Jude's! I'm sure most of you are disappointed, but I am just NOT ready to cut the curls yet. It is coming though, I feel it. This time it was Bailey (my 7 year old). She is so tender headed and ALWAYS fusses when she has to brush tangles out. She has told me in the past that she wants her hair short so that it won't be so tangly. So today, after a crying episode in the bathroom. Pitiful I tell you! I told her that we could go get her hair cut. $8.00 and 10 inches later, she has the cutest little stacked up bob. WAY cute on her. Problem is - Avery (my 9 year old) now wants to get her hair cut too. I LOVE Avery's hair. I am trying at this moment to get mine to grow and look just like hers. She has the thickest hair of anyone I know, including me. And I've got some locks going on. It's healthy, it's gorgeous and I don't want to cut it. So as I am telling Glen (my husband) this, he tells me that I am being unfair to only let one child get their hair cut and that Avery sure can get hers cut if she wants to. I told him that I am the Mom and until she is 18, that hair will be as I want it. (I wasn't in a very good mood a this point, I mean I am the Mom(did I already say that?)) She IS 9, and I understand that it IS her hair. I just really am not sure what to do. Her dad told her that she can get it cut if she wants. Can I go against that? Help me!!! Plus Parker is sure to follow suit. Am I fixing to shell out $16.00 MORE or what?

3 Comments:

Blogger Tammy M. said...

We have a rule in our family. When it comes to hair, the one to which it belongs decides. I received some very sound advice from a man whom I worked for, he was a youth and family minister, and also a counselor. He told me to choose battles wisely, and hair was not one of them. I love letting my kids decide how they want their hair cut. My daughter's hair is thin, and she likes it long, it would look way better in a bob at her shoulders, but she wants it long. My son also likes his hair long, he let it grow to his shoulders last year, and as long as he kept it out of his eyes with regular trims, it was his hair to do with as he pleases. I do draw the line on weird colors because of rules at school, but I love letting my kids have freedom where this is concerned. When I was a girl living in my father's house he never let me have my hair cut short, within a couple of months of graduating high school and moving out, my hair was bleached blonde and shaved like an army hair cut but with big poofy bangs. This was during the "mod" age. I had been asked to do some hair shows, and with each show my hair kept getting shorter and shorter. I loved it.

5:20 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

One thing that my mom did for me when I was young was let me dress the way I wanted and choose my hair. My clothes had to be modest and appropiate (no shorts on Sunday moning), but otherwise I had free reign. I know that it kept me from rebelling in other ways and gave me self-confidence. Because I thought my parents respected my choices I respected theirs. Wether my clothes and hair looked good or not I thought they did so I felt good about myself. Not only did my mom let me choose she never lead me to believe that I wasn't cute because of my choices. It wasn't until I was much older that I found out Mom though most of my clothes were weird.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Shionge said...

Hey Nicole - Welcome to blogging :P Just stopping by to say hi.

What a hair-rising experience, very interesting indeed. I dun have problems with my girls' and my elder daughter trimmed it herself in her room and messed up the floor LOL.

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home