My Old Blog

Friday, June 09, 2006

Cable

I am not sure what to do about our cable. Ever since Glen and I got married, we have had the "basic" cable. You know the one. It has 20 channels, two of which are spanish speaking, 2 are shopping networks. REALLY it only brings in the main 4 stations without static. Well, about 6 months ago my daddy was coming for a visit and wanted to watch something on ESPN (which we could get in our upstairs bedroom, but REALLY fuzzy). It worked good enough for Glen, but NOTHING that I would ask my daddy to watch. So as a surprise to Glen and my daddy, I bumped us up to the "big" cable. (As we call it) We have really enjoyed it. Glen and my daddy can watch their sports without fuzz, the girls can watch Disney channel, and I can watch my MTV shows. Perfect right? Well, I am trying to cut back on some our spending and what pops into my head first? The cable. Do the girls really NEED to watch the Disney channel everyday? They have learned so many things (good and bad) from that channel. Not my favorite. I think that they need to be doing something productive like reading or pretending or playing outside. I only let them watch maybe an hour everyday. That's not that bad. They need down time right?Does Glen not DESERVE to watch his Sportscenter when he gets home from a long day at work? And can I really go on without my MTV? I like a little down time too! Am I talking myself out of going back to the "basics"? I could really save about $20.00. Is it worth it?

9 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I LOVE cable!! But also, today was a day that we did not turn the TV on ONCE! And I am being totally honest! Now, when the kids are in bed tonight for sure the tv will be on for hubby & me probably. But, it was just a play-day-only today and is just fine! The kids need that. We have the "big" cable with On Demand- love that- oh and the DVR! I am probably not helping here, am I? ...

3:04 PM  
Blogger Kim's Life said...

Its hard to go back after having a taste of it. The touble is we have to many choices. How much easier would it be if we only had one to make. But I guess it wouldnt be as fun.lol.lol

3:29 PM  
Blogger Glass Half Full said...

I am on both sides: I love my down-time when I can watch TV and flip through movies and whatever is on the FOOD NETWORK! However, my parents did not get cable until I was out of the house and married (11 years ago). I did just fine without HGTV and VH1!! I can easily say I am spoiled now with DVR and 170+ stations, but does it really benefit me -- probably not! For budget reasons go ahead and cut the ties, but if its a personal decision just weigh out the pros and cons. :) GOOD LUCK!

6:22 AM  
Blogger rebecca marie said...

i would never be without cable. i could do without television altogether, and really rarely watch. but if i take the total price of cable and divide that by the number of hours that my husband (who is the sole bread winner) relaxes in front of espn, it would come out to less than a dollar an hour (more like cents an hour during football season).

in my opinion, that is BUDGET entertainment for the mister!

8:42 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

If it's only 20 bucks I say keep it. Cable here is at least 50 bucks a month and I wouldn't pay for it.

Luckily our house came with cable 3 years ago and it still hasn't been disconnected. I told hubby when it does, we ARE NOT paying to get it turned back on.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

We have the same struggle. We have dish network and if we go to a lesser plan we could cut our budget by 25$... sounds really nice but we decided to just quit renting movies so we didn't have to cut the extra channels we both like!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I guess I could save the $20.00 by not getting my nails done. NAH!!

1:31 PM  
Blogger Nicki said...

We cancelled our satellite dish about 2 months ago. We did it because we wanted to tighten up our spending. I can't tell you how wonderful it has been. One, there is no guilt for paying money for it. Two, I didn't realize how much TV we were actually watching when we had endless channels.

I've even grown a heightened sensitivity to all of the garbage that we were all being exposed to, even on the most 'unsuspecting' shows. I feel like I've been cleansed in a way. LOL!

We have noticed a change in our family dynamic also. More time is spent doing physical and creative activities, plus more talking to each other. I've also found it's much easier to hear God when I'm not drowning him out with the television. Hee!

7:53 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I would say that if it is just $20/month find another way to save. Don't buy that extra box of goodies at the store, or go out to eat or something. I would have major withdrawls without my cable (all 400+ channels...LOL). However, I would cut out eating out before I would give it up.

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home