My Old Blog

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Mom's house

Well, since Avery is at Leadership Camp about a mile from our house, I decided that I would drive to my parents house about 3 hours away. Does this make any sense? To me it does. I just figured that I would be wanting to go up there and check on her and be thinking about what she is doing. BUT, if I am 3 hours away I COULDN'T check on her and my mind would be on having fun with my mom and dad.

Well the plan has worked GREAT! I have missed her of course, but I really have done well. It was kind of funny though yesterday when she called. It was the first time that I have talked to her since dropping her off Sunday night, and this was our conversation LITERALLY!!!

ME: Hey Ave! How's camp?

AVERY: Good. What's Grammy doing?

ME: She is sitting here with me. Have you been having fun?

AVERY: Yes. Can I talk to Grammy?

ME: No. I want to talk to you first! How is Abby?(her room mate)

AVERY: Good. Now can I talk to Grammy?

ME: Ummmm.... OK, (hesitation)Here she is. I love you!!

AVERY: I love you too!

Needless to say that my very own "queen of talk" did not want to talk to ME on the phone, but instead Grammy won out AGAIN!! She is so close to my mom, and I love that! Really I do, but I just wanted to talk to my "grown-up" 9 year old that has been away from me since SUNDAY!!!! I do have to say that she was so sweet and asked to talk to Bailey and Parker. Isn't it sad though that I am already self talking about letting go and letting my kids grow up. She is only 9, but man, I am already picturing her in college and having to wait for her to call me or waiting for her to have TIME to talk to me. I don't look forward to those days!!

By the way, She IS having a great time! So thanks for the prayers!

8 Comments:

Blogger ~Crystal~ said...

Awe...Poor Nicole! LOL I was really close to my Granny like that & would do the same thing to my Mom.
They do grow up fast don't they?

10:20 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Awe.... How sad! I know how you feel my son is the same way. I choose to think that I have done a great job in making him secure in himself that is why he does not need to talk to me as much! LOL

1:01 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Oh, poor ma! It will be okay... when she is in college, she WILL call you every day. I called my mom every day that first semester... then let go slowly and it became more like once a week. Just be sure to get an 800 number. ;)

9:27 PM  
Blogger owlhaven said...

Glad she's having fun!

10:23 PM  
Blogger Glass Half Full said...

When my hubby and I travel Matt stays with my parents. We call to check in and my conversation with Matt is a few phrases long, but he dumps everything out with Steve. :)

10:25 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

My kids love talking to their mamaw too so I know how that is! They like talking to me but then there is grandma too! LOL

P.S. I have a blogger ID but I update my blog at http://jessicaslilcorner.tz4.com

12:06 PM  
Blogger Blackeyedsue said...

I am afraid that is the route that my oldest is taking. She LOVE Grandma and I can't compete. I'm not too sad about it though. I love that she has another trusted adult around if she can't come to me.

It's so smart of you to get out of town so that you don't dwell on it.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Nettie said...

I'm sure she still loves you, Nicole! I'm glad she is having a good experience.

My 13 year old son just got back from a week at scout camp. It is the longest he has ever gone anywhere without us. It was a bit disturbing to me to see how nonchalant he was about being gone, too. He has mentioned he wants to live at home for his first year of college. It may be weird, but I am very excited about that!

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home